In 1901, Wada Kujyuromasataka established a pottery in Nishinomiya Shrine Village to create pieces for the tea ceremony. In 1910, his second son, Masae, moved the pottery to Higashi Sakuragi-cho, Amagasaki (Teramachi-dori, Amagasaki) and changed the name of to Kotonoura Pottery based on the old name for Amagasaki, Kotonoura (meaning Japanese Harp Inlet), which was famous for the beauty of its seaside with white sands and green pines. The use of the professional name Tozan (meaning Paulownia Mountain) also dates back to the beginning of the Kotonoura Pottery. Masae also assisted with establishing a pottery to specialize in tea ceremony pieces in Seido Village of Mukogun, Hyogo Prefecture. This pottery formed the origins of Uchide Pottery, which also specialized in pieces for the tea ceremony. In 1923, Masae built a five-chamber climbing kiln and started production of dishes, flower containers, tea ceremony pieces for Sencha (leaf green tea) and Macha (powdered green tea) using a wide range
of techniques, such as white porcelain, celadon, underglaze cobalt blue, gold overglaze painting, and overglaze enamels in the Kyoto pottery style. In 1947, fifteen pieces made by Tozan were displayed and viewed by the Emperor at the Emperor’s accommodation while visiting Hyogo Prefecture, for which Tozan received a Cultural Award from the Prefecture recognizing his contribution to Japanese culture.The Kotonoura Pottery has used the Kikusono seal for its tea ceremony pieces for Sencha. This seal has been used by the Wada family since they served as doctors for the Amagasaki Clan, and it is based on the Kikusui (meaning chrysanthemum and water) crest used by the Kusunoki (Lord Masashige) and Wada Families. The Kotonoura Pottery has continued to change and develop to the present.